14 June 2012
After the Red Sox finished off the Marlins on Wednesday with a 10-2 victory their really is not much in the way of good news around Miami. The team is coming off one of the worst home stands of its history the team is now 3-9 in the month of June. While still ahead of last years' pace the team has fallen from tied to first in the NL East to fourth place and 7 games behind the Washington Nationals. Still their are some small bits of news around the team.
- After Wednesday's loss the Marlins sent Chris Coghlan back down to Triple-A New Orleans and called Scott Cousins back up the Majors. Since being called back uo in late May Coghlan hit just .153 in 59 at bats with one home run, 8 RBI (all in May) and 7 strikeouts. Cousins a solid defensive center fielder has hit .292 in Triple-A with 7 home runs, but he does strike out quite a bit (48 times in 50 games this year).
- Also after the loss yesterday, one of the biggest stories was the back and forth yelling between Ozzie Guillen and Heath Bell. It started because with 2 outs in the 9th of a blow out loss Ozzie pulled Heath Bell out of the game even though Bell wanted to finish the inning. Ozzie says the only reason why he pulled him was because it was a meaningless inning and he did not want to over work him in case he needed to be used Friday night (Bell was at 19 pitches). Things seem to be fine now as Bell said he "understand where Ozzie was coming from. I apologized and I don't mean any disrespect."
- A poll done by Men's Journal involving 100 major league players has named Ozzie Guillen the least respected manager and Giancarlo Stanton the player in the best shape.
- Ozzie got 36% of the vote with the magazine saying-- Players bristle that Guillen is "loud" and "can get under your skin." Says one opponent, "He loses it all the time." Adds another, "He always preaches that he backs his players, but he's been known to throw them under the bus." A rival reliever says, "You can't call your guys out every weekend, and he does that."
- Stanton got 28% of the vote with the magazine saying-- "He's a real-life Under Armour mannequin," one major leaguer says, marveling at the 6-foot-5, 248-pound outfielder, a former USC football recruit whose off-season rituals include running the stairs at UCLA's track stadium. "He's not normal, not human." An NL slugger adds, "I don't think he has any body fat."
- Stanton maybe respected by many in the baseball community, but he is still being disrespected by many of the fans. Despite statistically being one of the top NL outfielders, he is still not in the top 15 in the all star voting.
- Ozzie Guillen also came out on Tuesday that he does not expect to have center fielder Emilo Bonifacio back until after the All-Star break. Bonifacio is a little more optimistic. After having his stitches removed he said he plans to start swinging a bat in 8 days and will be reevaluated in the next two weeks.
- Friday 7:10pm at Tampa Bay: Carlos Zambrano (4-4) vs Matt Moore (3-5)
- Saturday 7:15pm at Tampa Bay: Anibal Sanchez (3-5) vs James Sheilds (7-4)
- Sunday 1:40pm at Tampa Bay: Josh Johnson (4-4) vs Alex Cobb (2-3)