07 December 2011
Okay so things over the last 36 hours have been kind of crazy with the rumors and news and everything following the Marlins recruitment of Albert Pujols so here is a quick summary of everything that has happened.
- Marlins meet the Pujols and his agent on Monday and then again durring the day on Tuesday.
- News came out that the Marlins had upped their original 9 year offer to Pujols to a 10 year deal worth over $200 million
- The biggest snag in the negotiations between the Miami Marlins and Pujols is that Albert wants a no trade clause, and the Marlins refuse to give any player a no trade clause. (Pujols can get one right away from the Cardinals thanks to the 10/5 rule in MLB)
- It was at this time that Pujols went to the St Louis Cardinals to get their offer, and Marlins owners Jeffery Loria meet with the Commisioner's Office. Loria said that it had nothing to do with the Pujols contract, but that was quickly contradicted by a source from the Commissioner's Office.
- The Cardinals offered Pujols a 10 year deal close to $220 million
- Albert Pujols and his agent had another two hour long meeting with the Marlins
- It was at this time that rumors of a secret third teams involvement in the negotiations. Some believe it to be the Cubs, others the Angles, but no team has been confirmed.
So now it is all down to Albert Pujols and where he wants to go. The Marlins have expressed that they want a quick response from Pujols because they are in on so many other free agents. The Marlins say that they want both Pujols and C.J. Wilson, but it is clear what the Marlins plans are as soon as this situuation is resolved.
-If the Marlins sign Pujols-- The Marlins then put Gaby Sanchez on the trade market and the first deal they will try is to send him to Oakland for Gio Gonzalez.
-If the Marlins don't sign Pujols-- The Marlins will get in a meeting room with C.J. Wilson and his agent as soon as possible and try to get him to sign with them.
|< Prev||Next >|